Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||Baltimore, MD United States
|| Administrative and Support Services, Social Services, Education and Library, Employment Placement Agencies, Government and Policy, Law Enforcement, and Security, Legal, Other, Personal Care and Service, Counseling, Collegiate Faculty, Staff, Administration, Executive Management, Quality Control, Research & Development, Medical, Nonprofit and Volunteer Services
Operations and Volunteer Manager|
Goucher Prison Education Partnership
Operations and Volunteer Manager
The Goucher Prison Education Partnership (http://www.goucher.edu/GPEP), based in Towson and Jessup, Maryland (just outside of Baltimore), is accepting applications for an operations and volunteer manager (OVM). If you have a commitment to building a more equitable world and a belief that all people deserve access to a quality education, we would like to hear from you! As a member of the GPEP team, the OVM will balance major responsibilities related to operations, communication, pedagogy and facilitation, volunteer management, and academic advising.
We are looking for candidates who are:
• Driven - you feel an urge to work to the highest standards regardless of who is watching
• Strategic - you carefully plan to ensure that all steps of a project are completed, including any contingencies
• Persistent – you are known for your follow through
• Results-oriented – you won’t rest until you have achieved your goal
• Resourceful – you relish tackling unpredictable obstacles because they give you an opportunity to develop a creative solution
• Highly organized with a meticulous attention to detail – you won’t settle for anything less than 100% accuracy
• Collaborative – you’re excited to pitch in wherever you can help and eager to create strong working relationships
• Resilient - you weather challenging and interpersonally demanding situations with ease
Qualifications & Requirements
The ideal candidate excels in relationship building, manages multiple ongoing complex projects, and gets results in a fast-paced and unpredictable environment while balancing a significant workload. We are a small office, so the right candidate relishes the variety of tasks they need to complete each day. For example, the OVM may spend their late morning visiting a main campus class to recruit new volunteers, planning a tutor training, calling an administrator at the prison to follow up on clearance requests, and then inventorying, organizing, and labeling textbooks. The next part of the day might include running out to the prison to carry in the inventoried textbooks, pick up a set of approved DVDs to provide to professors and replenish supplies needed by students. To cap off the day, the OVM may sit down for one on one academic advising with students or may need to be on site or on call to help facilitate a new solution for student’s commissary pickup that evening.
Though each day may feel different, the OVM will spend the majority of their time focused on the following responsibilities:
Operations: The OVM ensures that Goucher students enrolled through GPEP are set up for success by coordinating specific logistics for the operation of the college in the prisons. These responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Ensuring all class meetings, student sessions, study halls, college events, etc. take place on time as scheduled with all needed materials and outside guests/volunteers present.
• Managing and resolving challenges in real time as they arise including those impacting classes, student sessions, study hall, and other college events;
• Ensuring quality academic support (tutoring, reasonable academic accommodation, etc.) is in place for all GPEP students to excel in their courses;
• Maintaining up-to-date and accurate records through direct entry and/or supervision of volunteers.
Communication: The OVM plans and manages communication with key GPEP partners to strengthen relationships while realizing key goals. This includes managing relationships with publishers, authors, and other parties who provide donations of needed textbooks and materials.
Pedagogy and Facilitation: The OVM plans and facilitates specific sessions for students that meet identified objectives, by using established curriculum and by planning new content as needed.
Volunteer Management: The OVM ensures excellent support of GPEP students by planning and supervising the engagement of 40-70 main campus students, faculty, and staff and other community members, who volunteer in support of GPEP students’ educations. This includes, but is not limited to:
• Recruiting, screening, selecting, and providing ongoing support and professional development to:
- Academic tutors who support Goucher students enrolled through GPEP using a sophisticated repertoire of tutoring strategies appropriate for a variety of student skill levels and needs;
- Research assistants who help professors with the logistical details of providing a scholarly research experience within the prisons; and
- Volunteers providing support in other roles.
• Utilizing existing practices and when necessary, refining, researching, and creating curriculum for volunteers that is tailored to each role. This includes
- Pedagogical trainings in best practices for tutors; and
- Trainings related to expectations within the prisons for all volunteers cleared to enter.
Academic Advising: The OVM serves as an academic advisor for a subset of Goucher students enrolled through GPEP.
Qualified candidates must possess a bachelor’s degree (master’s degree or higher preferred) and have at least three years of professional experience that includes a strong foundation in pedagogy. Candidates who have experience working in academic tutoring, academic advising, and/or college-level teaching are encouraged to apply.
Candidates should have proficiency using the Microsoft suite and googledrive, two years of experience on a state issued driver’s license, the ability to lift and carry up to 35 pounds, and have reliable access to transportation. The successful candidate will be subject to a background check and driving records check as a condition of employment. Given the job responsibilities, the ability to obtain and maintain clearance at the prisons will also be a necessary condition of employment. This position includes weekly on-site coordination and office hours, including regular evening as well as occasional weekend hours.
Goucher College is committed to increasing the diversity of our community and seeks applicants dedicated to applying principles of equity and inclusion in all areas of the campus community.
To apply or to learn more about additional opportunities with GPEP, visit http://goucher.interviewexchange.com.
Review of applications will begin on Monday, February 4 and will continue until the position is filled.
The following application materials are required for consideration and must be submitted online:
• Cover letter, with salary requirement
• Contact information for three professional references
|Website:|| http://goucher.interviewexchange.com. |
Goucher College is a selective liberal arts college located in Towson, Maryland, twenty minutes north of Baltimore. The college’s strategic plan emphasizes environmental sustainability and international and intercultural experiences. There are opportunities for faculty to develop courses and experiences with an international focus. Goucher College is committed to increasing the diversity of the campus community and encourages applicants that will fulfill that mission. The Business Management Program attracts students from a variety of demographic backgrounds. We welcome candidates who are dedicated to supporting diverse student needs and interests.
Goucher College endeavors to be a model teaching and learning community, where faculty and students are engaged with one another in learning both inside and outside of the traditional classroom. We seek candidates who have a demonstrated commitment to students from diverse backgrounds and a dedication to engaged pedagogies that support equity and student success. We encourage candidates who are committed to student-centered teaching and learning who are also engaged scholars eager to contribute to the intellectual life of the college and the future of the liberal arts. Application materials should clearly articulate how the candidate will contribute to the college's commitment to diversity and equity.
Goucher College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.